Tis the (Flu) Season...


Yusi taking care of Ali with fever.
When CDC said that this was going to be a challenging flu season, they were not kidding. All 3 of the kids have been sick simultaneously from Halloween to Thanksgiving. I have been to the Pediatrician 8 times and through 5 rounds of antibiotics! I know this because I just paid off almost $250 in co-pays.  It started with a virus coupled with extremely high fevers, to croup to ear infection to croup to bronchitis to croup to strep to ear infection. It’s just ridiculous.  Finally Isa and Yusuf were both healthy enough to go to school this week, although Yusuf is still on antibiotics and Ali still has an ear infection.



 

Yusi wanting to trick or treat on Halloween with his Ninja Turtle costume.

 On Monday morning as I was telling a co-worker how both my older boys are finally back in school, I get a call from Isa’s school.  I was nervous picking up the call and was praying for all to be okay. It turns out he got hurt playing tag. The nurse said that he was doing ok and should be fine but he wanted to talk to me.

“Amma I can’t breathe my lungs hurt every time I take a breath. Remember I felt like this in second grade when I fell off the monkey bars (yes that was not a good day) and then the last day of fourth grade when I fell on my back playing football.  This boy hit me on the back so hard when we were playing tag, because he was trying to prevent me from getting into the zone, now my back hurts and it hurts to breathe when I walk.”

Isa receiving a breathing treatment for his bronchitis (when he actually had trouble breathing)
This seemed to be a lot of talking by a boy who can't breathe.


“Ok Isa, just rest don’t move much, let’s wait and see if you get better."  

I didn’t get a call back for a little while so I decided to call the nurse myself.


"Are you talking about the one who is waiting on medication"
"Umm no I didn't say I was getting medication"
"Oh ok, the one that fell on his stomach?"
"No this is for Isa Saiyed the one that got hurt playing tag on the play ground, he didn't fall did he?" (this nurse was freaking me out!)
Oh wait let me check, oh yeah Isa, I am sorry we have had so many today, but yes he should be fine, I mean I haven't heard from him since." 
Although what she said made sense, I somehow didn't want to believe this lady.
I could tell she was annoyed and obviously not too excited about tracking him down for me, however after 10 minutes she finally got a hold of him. 
"Amma yes it has gotten worse, it was hurting a lot and I couldn’t breathe when I was running."
"Why would you run when I told you to rest!!"
"Well ...I wasn’t really running, I was just jogging or actually walking fast."
I was not surprised to hear that, probably should not have called back.
"Isa its ok just hold on and not run, school will be out soon, if it gets worse call me back and I will come and get you".
Oh gosh, why did I have to say that, he is sooo going to call me back.. Tick tock tick tock…(10 minutes)
Phone rings…"Amma I can’t breathe..."

By this time I was done playing this game and went to go get him (better safe then sorry). He greeted me at the front office with a smile that was getting wider and a dimple that was getting deeper as he approached me. I gave him a "you could have stayed in school" look but was delighted to see him hurting a little but breathing fine thankfully.

Then on Wednesday morning I get a call from Yusuf’s teacher who said "he was complaining of a stomach ache and was a little teary eyed, he should be okay staying in school but I wanted you to talk to him."
She then gave the phone to him.
"Yusuf do you have a stomach ache"
--Silence--
The teacher then told him to say it in the phone instead of nodding. so he said "yes" in a very painful voice.  
"Do you need to go to the bathroom"
"No!"
Oh no my poor baby, I know how he gets when he gets a stomach ache.
I asked if he wanted to come home, he said "Yes" again but sounded like he was about to breakdown into tears any minute.
This last yes did it for me.
I then called Ajee to see if he could pick him up (as he is closer to Yusuf's School and I have been in and out of the office way too many times these past few weeks). Ajee asked if it was necessary, since he gets stomach aches often that get better on their own after a few minutes. That made sense. However, I convinced him of how he needed to come home so he could be comfortable (and so I could be comfortable as well).  


These past few weeks have been a reminder of how blessed I am that I get to watch my children feel comfortable, get better and thrive. Mashallah!

May Allah continue to bless all children with health and happiness Aameen!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Tribute to My Abba !

Just Another Manic Eid Day..Continued..

A Nap...Ain't Nobody Got time for Dat!!

A Night at 1826!

Isa's Holiday Concert!