The Conference Call Challenge!


While I am filling up a glass of water,  I drop a piece of ice. Yusuf picks it up for me, knowing that I can't bend down and instead of putting it in the sink, he puts it on his head, imitating the Ice Bucket Challenge.

Yusuf: Amma mujhe Ice Buckets karna hai. (I want to do the Ice Buckets)
"Sab log Ice buckets kiyoo karte hain?" (Why does everyone do Ice Buckets?)

Knowing it was a very valid question, I didnt feel like answering. Partly because I was not sure how to answer him and partly because I was feeling miserable.

Me: Yusi, Amma does not feel good!

Yusuf: Aapke paas baby hai na! (Since you have a baby inside you)

His theory was pretty accurate.

Me: Ajee can you drop me to work for a couple of hours tomorrow, I have this important meeting with the whole team including the CPO and I don't think I will be able to drive.

Ajee: Are you insane Ayesha you can't go to work tomorrow, you need to work from home.

Me: Yeah you are right, the baby could come any time I should work from home, I'll just call in for the meeting.

I wake up early, log on quickly and take care of a few important e-mails. A few minutes later, the phone rings, its Isa's school. Isa is coughing up a storm and she wants to know how we want to handle the situation.

What I want to tell the lady is "Please I give you total permission to give him a cough suppressant and make him stay, he hasn't had fever in 48 hours and has been getting over it for the last few days so is perfectly germ free now and can STAY IN SCHOOL!” But now that they have witnessed his exaggerated over dramatic coughing, we will have to bring him home to save face within the school community. So I call Ajee and have him bring him home.

Meanwhile, the meeting is about to start any minute. Yusuf is sleeping in my room, so I run to Isa's room with my laptop, and phone. Few minutes later, Isa arrives sits with me and starts staring at my screen and listening in on my call.

"Isa you need to do your work ASAP, you look fine". Of course my comment instigates a coughing spree all over my laptop, which is followed by a plethora of questions about his math homework. Two minutes later Yusuf walks in and excited to see me at home, runs and plops right next to me. Isa takes this opportunity to cuddle with him which annoys Yusuf and starts the complaining about how "Isa mujhe annoy karraha hai" (Isa is annoying me). Isa retaliates with "I am just kissing him." This is a n everyday argument that happens but..NOT when I am on a call from work! Thank you Lord for the person who invented the MUTE button!

Besides the mute button, I am also grateful for having a cell phone that I remembered to charge. The last conference call I had from home was being led by me and I had to use the home phone. While I am in the middle of sharing screens, spreadsheets and conversing with my co-workers, I hear this staticky sound on the other end that made me wonder whose phone was messing up. All of a sudden I hear some familiar commotion in the back ground, including kids crying and someone shouting. I embarassingly realized it was coming from my end.. It's Amma yelling at Isa to turn off the phone since I was on a call, while Yusuf and Talha are fighting over a toy. I can't mute because the other line is on, and I can’t say anything since I can't mute. I quickly go down, snatch the phone from Isa and hang it up. I could sense the confusion in the silence on the other end. After the awkwardness was over, I get on to the next topic of my meeting. A few minutes later, Phuppi walks in sees me working, and starts staring at my presentation, 2 inches away from the screen. As she can't hear, she does not realize I am on speaker and explains to me loudly. "Main dekhti hoon aapki job kaisi hoti hai aap kiya karte ho" (I am looking to see what you do at work). Ok Phuppi, right now... really??

Between all this, Nani Amma called several times on call waiting, that I couldn't pick up so she starts face timing on my cell phone to check on me. The face time tone could be heard throughout the call. This was still not as loud as the "Hogaiiiii Ammmaaa" (Amma I am done) that came later. That was Yusuf screaming from the bathroom to inform me that he is done with his business and is now ready to be washed up, this was also my cue to end the call and reschedule.

My work from home buddies!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Tribute to My Abba !

Just Another Manic Eid Day..Continued..

A Nap...Ain't Nobody Got time for Dat!!

A Night at 1826!

Isa's Holiday Concert!